Sometimes it’s just easier making smaller portions to ensure everyone has a piece or if you are short on time (the latter is usually what happens with me!). So muffins are an easy way to make your favourite cake in a cute package and this lemon drizzle flavour is a really simple one!
Makes 10 – 12 standard size muffins
- Plain Flour – 280g / 2.5 cups (you can use Self raising flour but leave out the baking powder)
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoons
- Bicarb of soda – 1/2 teaspoons
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Caster sugar – 110g /1 cup
- Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Soya milk (or any other milk you prefer) – 150ml / 3/4 cup
- Water – 90ml / 1/2 cup water
- Vegetable oil – 90ml / 1/2 cup
For the drizzle:
- Icing sugar – 60g / 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice – 3 teaspoons
- Grated lemon zest – 1/2 teaspoon
Optional: poppy seeds/chocolate chips
- Line your muffin tin with cases or oil & pre-heat oven to 180 C.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl and add the poppy seeds or chocolate chips if using
- In a separate bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients adding the lemon juice & zest at the end.
- Pour all of the wet ingredients in with the dry and combine well with wooden spoon. The batter should have a loose dropping consistency and you can add more milk if needed and don’t worry about any lumps in the batter.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4’s full and bake for about 20 minutes or until the tops are slightly brown and spring back when pressed gently. Stir glaze ingredients together and drizzle over the hot muffins.
I’m drooling as I type out this recipe…..no joke!