These are such cute little sweets to make for Diwali and I bet your guests won’t realise how healthy they are! These are a great way to add in Chia seeds which are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and a great way to make this sweet a healthy one! The dates and nuts of course have lots of great nutrients and the addition of maple syrup here makes it a perfect vegan treat too. If you are not vegan then feel free to add honey instead. Just try out with things that you like and you can also vary the ingredients below according to your desired texture and taste.
This makes x16 bite size Burfi balls or x8 bigger Burfi.
What you need:
- 140g pitted dates
- 30g pistachio nuts (other nuts can also be used like hazelnuts, walnuts, pecan)
- 2 teaspoons Chia seeds (these can be omitted if you don’t have any to hand)
- 2 to 3 Cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons Maple syrup (or honey if you are not Vegan)
- Dessicated coconut – enough to coat the Burfi balls
How to make it:
- Put all ingredients (apart from coconut) in a food processor/grinder and blitz until you get a coarse mixture.
- Roll into your desired size balls. I then took half the balls then coated them with unsweetened dessicated coconut and left the other half without any topping.
You can also dip these in chocolate for a more decadent version!
3. Place the balls in individual cases if you have them. You don’t have to put them into cases but they look special if you do 🙂
4. Place on a tray or plate and keep in the fridge to firm up a bit for about 15mins. You can also keep these in the fridge overnight or for a few days before you want to eat them. Just make sure you take them out about 30mins before serving so they aren’t too cold to eat.
Yum yum yummy!!! 🙂