This delicious dessert was inspired by Valentines Day 2015 and is adapted from the Nutella Cheesecake recipe by the fabulous Nigella. This post also coincided with the death of Mr Ferrero and so I felt like it was a tribute to his wonderful life and for bringing the joys of nutty chocolate to the World! RIP Mr Ferrero ❤
I find this quite a rich and indulgent dessert, so it’s a great dessert after a light meal 🙂
Makes 6 tartlets.
What you need:
- 125g digestive biscuits (but you may need more depending on consistency)
- 40g unsalted butter (at room temp)
- 200g Nutella chocolate spread (at room temp).
- 75 grams chopped toasted nuts (can be hazelnuts, pistachio nuts, pecan – or a combo!)
- 180g full fat cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 30g icing sugar (sifted)
- 2 pinches of ground cardamom – approx 2 pods (don’t be tempted to put too much as it can be overpowering!)
MKA Tip: You must make sure both the butter and cream cheese are at room temperature otherwise it will be hard to make a well combined base and a smooth paste with the nutella.
How to make it:
- In a food processor add the biscuits, butter and a 1 tablespoon of Nutella, and whizz until it’s combined well. Add approx 1 tablespoon of the nuts and continue to pulse until you have a mixture resembling damp sand. You may need to add a couple more biscuits to get the right consistency.
- Tip into the tartlet dishes (or a small springform round dish) and press into the base so the mixture is evenly spread out. Place in the fridge to chill for a minimum of 30mins.
- Whisk the cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth and then add the remaining Nutella as well as the cardamom, and continue beating until combined.
- Take the chilled biscuit mixture from the fridge and gently spoon the Nutella mixture over the base and smooth out using a plastic spatula or the back of a spoon. Try and get the chocolate spread as smooth as you can and then sprinkle on the remaining nuts to cover. Place the tin in the fridge for at least four hours or overnight and serve straight from the fridge for best results. You can garnish with raspberries if you like the taste contrast, but it’s just as delicious without any other decoration.