So this is one of my most favourite puddings as a child and is now as an adult. Making this takes me back to a time where I used to be so excited to see my mum making this in the kitchen and I loved licking the bowl clean…and I know I still do so as I make it for my loved ones 🙂 I have written vegan and healthier substitutes below my mum’s original recipe, so hope you pick the one you like and give it a go. It’s so so simple, but so so rich, nutritious and delicious!
What you need:
- 1 ripe large avocado (do make sure it’s very ripe otherwise it won’t taste as nice)
- 1/2 cup fresh double cream
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup caster sugar (depending on your taste)
- A sprinkle of unsweetened desiccated coconut
How to make it:
- Scrape out the avocado from it’s shell and place in a food processor/blender.
- Add the cream & sugar to the avocado and blitz the mixture until smooth and creamy (my Mum used to mash it by hand until smooth, but using a processor does this in seconds and ensures there are no lumps). Taste and add more cream/sugar if needed.
- Spoon into two bowls (glass ones if you have them) and decorate with more cream, some desiccated coconut, and a sprig of mint.
And that’s it! You can make this a few hours in advance if you have guests and chill in the fridge before serving.
HEALTHIER VERSION: replace the double cream with plain yoghurt and replace the caster sugar with honey or a plant sugar like Xylitol. You may need to vary the amounts according to your preferred taste and consistency.
VEGAN VERSION: replace the double cream for thick coconut milk. This tastes really luxurious and I would be interested if any of you try it with cashew cream. Let me know! 🙂