This is a great way to get your protein, vitamins, minerals & good carbs in one YUMMY hit! It may seem like the ingredients list is quite long, but it’s worth it and the food processor does most of the hard work! You can also make this in advance.
Makes about 10 medium sized cutlets
1. 2 cups cooked quinoa
2. 1/2 cup cooked rice OR mashed potatoes
3. 1/2 cup cooked cauliflower, roughly chopped
4. 1/2 red pepper, roughly chopped
5. 1/4 cup broad beans
6. 1/2 cup coriander with stalks, torn up
7. 1/2 of a medium sized onion, chopped finely
8. 1 green chilli (or more if you can take it!) – chopped finely
9. 1 inch piece ginger, chopped finely
10. 3/4 tsp ground cumin
11. 3/4 tsp ground coriander
12. Salt & pepper, to taste
13. breadcrumbs, approx 3/4 cup (and more to coat the cutlets)
14. 1 tablespoon soya flour (or any other flour)
15. 1 tablespoon lemon juice
16. 1/4 cup sweetcorn
17. 1/2 large carrot, grated
1. Put ingredients 1 – 15 in a food processor/blender and mix until well combined.
2. Mix this mixture with the sweetcorn and grated carrot and check seasoning.
3. Form the mixture into cutlet shapes (add more breadcrumbs if too watery) and place on a plate lined with a napkin/paper towel.
4. Place in the fridge for at least 30 mins so cutlets become firm. [you could freeze these at this stage if you want to cook them at a later date]
5. Take out of fridge and coat cutlets in more breadcrumbs.
6. Shallow fry in a saucepan/skillet, a few at a time, until the outside of the cutlets are crispy and slightly charred.
Serve with salad and your favourite condiment. I like this with Imli chutney (Tamarind chutney).
You can add other vegetables to these according to your taste e.g. broccoli, grated apple, grated courgette, different herbs….the list could go on! Great for kids who would never know how nutritious these yummy cutlets are!