This is just a great idea if you like Pizza but want to eat it easily without cutting up slices or getting messy with the fillings. I think it’s a great idea to make for a picnic or a day out and it can be made the day before too! The recipe below are my favourite fillings, but you can use whatever you like but just remember not to use anything too watery otherwise it will make it very soggy.
This makes 2 medium sized Stromboli
When making 2 Stromboli, then you could vary the filling e..g put different veg, use pesto instead of tomato sauce
What you need (remember the filling is for 2 Stromboli!):
- 1 batch white bread dough (you can use a bread machine to make the dough or click HERE for dough recipe)
- 1 cup good-quality tomato sauce (should be fairly thick in consistency)
- 200-300g of your favourite cooked/roasted veg (e.g. courgette/zucchini, peppers, olives, onions, mushrooms) Think of what you normally like on Pizza 🙂
- 150g grated mozzarella, feta or ricotta or other cheese.
- 2 teaspoons Oregano or other dried italian herbs
- handful basil leaf or other herb of your choice
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of milk to brush over the bread before baking
Other filling ideas: pesto, sundried tomatoes, Spice it up with an Asian curry filling (YUM!), chillies, grated paneer