I use strong bread flour to get a nice soft and bouncy roti, but plain flour is traditionally used for this recipe.
For a healthier version – use multigrain atta, wholemeal or spelt flour. Click here for other healthy flours you could use.
For a gluten-free recipe – use the same amount of rice flour but you will need more water to make a pliable dough
Makes approximately 10 – 12 small roti’s
- 3 cups strong white bread flour
- 1 cup water at room temperature (but you may need more depending for a pliable dough)
- 1 cup grated coconut (fresh coconut is better – but you can use unsweetened dessicated coconut if fresh is unavailable. You need to soak the dessicated coconut in some coconut milk for 30 minutes to soften)
- 2 tablespoons coriander – cut finely
- 1 tablespoon of curry leaves – tear up roughly
- 1/2 cup finely cut shallots or white onion
- 3 green chillies (can leave out for children if you don’t want it spicy)
- Salt to taste – approximately 1.5 teaspoons
- 2 – 3 tablespoons oil
- In a large bowl add the flour, coconut, salt and oil and mix well. Then add water a little at a time until it forms a pliable dough, but not too sticky. The dough should be a play-dough consistency and you will need to knead it for about 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and combine well with the dough. You can now keep this aside until you are ready to use, or rest this for about 1 hour.
- Make dough balls of the same size – you may need to apply a little oil on your hands to make this easier.
- Take one dough ball and place in between 2 pieces of foil. Roll out into a circular shape and then cook on a non-stick pan or a cast iron skillet on a low/medium flame. These roti’s do take longer to cook compared to chapathi’s, so you need to be patient.
- Cook on both sides until you see brown spots all over the roti.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough balls and serve with your favourite curry or chutney (you can wrap these up in foil/damp cloth if you wish to serve these at a later time and then just warm in the oven when you are ready)