Yields about 2 – 3 servings
What you need:
- 1 cup soya chunks (soak in a bowl of hot water for about 30mins)
- 1 cup of sliced green beans (any type of flat beans work best in this dish)
- ¼ cup of grated coconut
- 2 – 4 teaspoons of curry powder depending on your taste (Sri Lankan curry powder if you can get it!)
- 4 tablespoons of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Black mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon of Oil
How to make it:
- Steam the sliced beans until they are about half cooked (al dente).
- In your pan, heat the oil and then add the mustard seeds. As soon as they start to splutter add the fennel seeds. After about 30 seconds add the curry leaves.
- Add the soya chunks with a few tablespoons of the water they were soaked in, the steamed beans, turmeric and curry powder. Mix well and simmer for about 3 mins.
- Depending on the consistency, you may want to add a little more water at this stage. You don’t want it to dry out and burn! Add salt and coconut milk, mix well and leave to simmer for a further 3 mins.
- Finally add the grated coconut, mix and serve. This goes well with Pittu and Aubergine (kathrikkai) curry.