What you need:
- Red Lentils (Mysore Daal) 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Tomato 1 – chopped into cubes
- Onion 1 – chopped finely
- Garlic 2 pods
- Ginger grated 1 tsp – chopped finely
- Red chilly 1
- Green Chilly 1 – chopped finely
- Red chilly powder 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder 1/4 tsp
- Ghee | Butter 2 Tablespoons
- Salt As needed
- Lemon Juice 1 tablespoon
How to make it:
- Wash the lentils and cook this in a saucepan with the water, turmeric powder and grated ginger.
- Once cooked through, then add the red chilli powder, salt (I use about 1 heaped tsp)and cumin powder to the cooked lentil mixture.
- In a separate small frying pan, add the ghee/butter and and saute the onions, garlic,red chilly and green chillies on a very low flame until the onions are browned. You will need to stir the onions to avoid them burning.
- Add the sauteed onion mixture to the cooked lentils and then leave the pan covered for about 2 mins to let the flavours infuse.
- After 2 mins, add the lemon juice and mix well
Serve hot with rice or any type of Naan/Chapaathi’s.