- 1 cup Toor dal (lentils), washed well
- 1 cup of vegetables of your choice (I have used okra here)
- 1 large tomato
- 2-3 tablespoons Sambhar Powder
- 6-8 shallots – peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 2-3 whole red chillies
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- A pinch of asafoetida (perungaayam/hing)
- Coriander leaves for garnish
1. Soak the lentils in 2 cups of boiling water for one hour.
2. Add a pinch of salt and cook the lentils high power for 5 minutes (my microwave is 900W, but cooking time will vary if you use a different level of power).
3. Stir and cook again at 60% power for 10 minutes.
I didn’t turn down the first time I made the lentils and it they overflowed and it was a disaster! (see pic below)
Mash the lentils with a potato masher or blend in a blender (i don’t like to mash the lentils completely, but it’s your preference) Mix in a pinch of sugar, salt and the sambhar powder.
4. In another large dish, mix together the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and 1 tablespoon oil. Cook covered on high power for approximately 2 -3 minutes.
5. Add onions, curry leaves, tomatoes and the rest of the oil and cook again on high power for 3 – 5 minutes until onions are cooked.
6. Add your cooked vegetable(s). I used sauteed okra in my recipe.
7. Add the lentil mixture to this along with 1 cups of boiling water and cook covered at 70% for 5 mins, stirring a few times in between. Add more water if you like your sambar more watery.
8. Add the tamarind and cook covered at 50% power for 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice or idlis.