This is a great stir fry to have by itself or with some noodles or hot steamed rice! A fab vegan recipe to have when you want to impress and look like you have slaved over it for a long time! To make it completely gluten free, replace the soy sauce with gluten-free soy sauce. You can add grated garlic (with the ginger) if you want this flavour to be stronger in this dish.
Serves 2 – 3
What you need:
- 200g Tofu – cut into wedges
- 1 large Aubergine/Eggplant – cut into long wedges
- 1 large capsicum/bell pepper (any colour you like!)
- 4 -5 spring onions- roughly chopped (keep the green stalky bits separately)
- 2 inch piece of ginger – grated
- 2 teaspoons of sesame seeds – lightly roasted
- A handful of cashew nuts – lightly roasted
- Oil (any flavourless oil) – 1 tablespoon
- Sesame oil – 2 teaspoons
- Salt, to taste
For the sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon of cornflour mixed with half a cup of water
- 2 Tablespoons of dark soya sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of chilli sauce ( I use the Sriracha brand)
- 1 tablespoon of ground black pepper
How to make it:
1. In a non-stick pan, roast the tofu and aubergine separately in a little oil with a pinch of salt until they are half cooked. Keep aside.
2. Make the sauce by adding all the ingredients for the sauce together and mixing well, ensuring there are no lumps of cornflour. Keep aside.
3. Heat a teaspoon of your flavourless oil in the pan and add the ginger and white parts of the spring onion, capsicum/bell peppers and sauté for about 5 mins (sauté for longer if you like your peppers well cooked, but I like a little crunch to them). Then add the sauce mixture and mix well and simmer for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the Aubergine & tofu and mix well so that all the veg are coated with the sauce and sauté together for about 5 minutes.
5. Garnish with the green parts of the spring onions, sesame seeds and cashew nets and serve with noodles, steamed rice or just by itself in a huge bowl! 🙂